Saturday, March 13, 2010

Historic Cemetery Tour

The first Historic Watkinsville Cemetery Tour is March 21st at 2:30. I have put an enormous amount of time and effort into this tour. It seems the more research I do the more I have to learn. Watkinsville has such a long and fascinating history. I only hope that I can do it justice. I can imagine that as time goes on the tour will get better and better not only from research but from all of the wonderful things that people tell me. I love it when people share their stories and insights. I even hope they correct me if I make a mistake and I am positive that I will make a few.
The tour will start at the Eagle Tavern because in order to get a real feel for the Watkinsville Cemetery you just have to start in this spot. The Tavern was built in the late 1700's and and continued to operate until the early 1900's. Several of the Eagle Tavern's proprietors are buried in the Cemetery. The old stage coach road pulled up to the Tavern and then journeyed down Mulberry Street and past the Watkinsville Cemetery.
I sincerely hope that people are interested in learning about their community. We are so fortunate to live in such an interesting and historic area. I will be posting the results of the first tour very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment